To address global health disparities and offer solutions through education, research, and health diplomacy by training a strong and culturally competent workforce.
The Global Health Institute is housed within the University of Arizona Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health.
The Global Health Institute’s Goals are:
- to provide meaningful applied global educational opportunities to equip students locally and globally with the skills and tools necessary to become globally minded and culturally competent public health professionals capable of addressing any global public health challenge;
- to catalyze global health activity at the University of Arizona through domestic and international collaboration aimed at education, collaborative research, training and public health outreach.
- Provide undergraduate and graduate programs in global health.
- Provide accredited online/distance learning education and training in public health and emergent global health issues for undergraduate, graduate, certificate and post-graduate students.
- Work with partner universities to develop and deliver dual degrees.
- Provide global service learning, internships, and study abroad experiences.
- Assist partner universities in the development of public health programs and/or departments.
- Provide internship and fieldwork opportunities for international students and visiting scholars.
Training (non-credit bearing)
- Provide opportunities to life-long learners who will benefit from global health coursework.
- Improve community health through training of those working with public health issues.
- Support professional development through competency-based courses for faculty, scholars and practitioners.
- Develop online preventive health and wellness training modules promoting health literacy.
- Support global fieldwork.
- Promote joint innovative research that addresses global health issues.
- Implement and evaluate effective public health interventions that strengthen health systems.
- Foster new discoveries that lead to improved health in underserved communities.
- Provide opportunities for international visiting scholars at University of Arizona College of Public Health.
- Support health diplomacy through technical support, expert services and consultation on global health issues to requesting institutions, corporations and governments.
- Disseminate global public health information and increase public health awareness.
- Foster interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary partnerships between academic and community-based practitioners and programs.